Monday, March 21, 2011

Patriarchal Blessings

Today, I am grateful for patriarchal blessings.

I love mine. It's so wonderful. I remember the day I got it. 

The day was December 10, 2006. I had just turned 18 8 days earlier. I was going through a hard time with some major health issues and that is really when my depression started. I remember taking my mom and dad and being very emotional. I remember hearing those words as if it was God himself telling me to my face. I knew he was the one giving the words to my patriarch and it inspired me so much. I remember feeling like "Ok, I can do this!" after my blessing.

I don't read it as often as I should, but I always feel better after I do. Each time I read it, I gain something new. Or, understand something deeper. I will share 2 sentences, that I feel are OK to share. 

"You will frequently be called upon to perform and to serve others. Because you will have decided to perfect yourself and your talents and to put in enough time to be a servant of Heavenly Father, others will be uplifted by you." Well, I hope that is the case! I hope I am uplifting others when I write on my blog. In fact, I am grateful for those who comment and send emails because many people have sent love and told me they were inspired by me. That makes all this blogging feel worth it. I am grateful for blogging too- because it has brought me closer to those around me and helped me share my feelings. 

I received this email a while ago that truly made my day: 

"Gillian,
 I know we don't really know each other all that well. I have briefly met you here and there, as well as heard your name a lot. I know a little bit about you, but I doubt you don't know me at all. But I just wanted to let you know that, yes I have been blog stalking you.  BUT, as I read your blogs I can't help to think what an amazing and inspiring girl you are. I can't help but to be a little jealous. Any ways I just wanted to let you know that as I read your blog I can definitely see the great faith and spirit you have, seeing you work through your trials and hardships really helps me to want to be a better person and to be able to have such great faith and testimony that you do.
 
I don't expect a response or anything, Just wanted to let you know that I think you are an amazing girl and I admire you very much. Keep up it up! Thanks for all your uplifting and fun posts!"
 
I remember reading that a few times and thinking, ME? I'm inspiring? I'm just writing how I feel! But, I really do appreciate when people share with me their feelings and thoughts. I like to know I am helping others a little. I am grateful for nice people who support me and love me. I am grateful for lots of things today.
 
In my patriarchal blessing it also says that Satan would try to keep me from feeling true gratitude for my many blessings. Well, that's not gonna happen! Because I am TRULY grateful for life and for that blessing I read once again last night to remind me who I am. 

1 comment:

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

I am grateful for sweet people like you who leave awesome comments. Thanks for visiting my blog and letting me know you like it! I had to track you down and give you some blog love too.
It's cool to meet a member from Utah. That is my dream destination (been a member 12 years now and still haven't been there).
I am grateful for my patriarchal blessing too. Oh, and that is my favorite talk from Elder Wirthlin "Come What May and Love It". It is so inspiring.
Nice meeting you!